Saturday, May 22, 2010

It's Been Awhile













I've been absent from the blogosphere for awhile now. Things at work took an unexpected turn and it has been rather chaotic.

This past week, we had a scare and came to the sad realization that life is short - especially for poodles. We have three dogs and we love them so much - they truly are members of our family. Caesar and Cleo, our two toy poodles, and Sophie, our labradoodle, are three of the sweetest, neediest and most unconditionally loving little creatures that I've ever known. Caesar, our oldest and our Alpha dog, is 14 1/2 years old, but he has always acted like a puppy; so it was a shock on Thursday morning when he had a terrible episode and stopped breathing. I ran into the bathroom, where R was taking a shower, sobbing and telling him that Caesar was dead. He hurried into some clothes and went into the other room with a blanket to wrap him up, and then called to me to tell me that Caesar was trying to stand up!

Caesar came around and began acting like his old self, but I had him at the vet's office as soon as the doors opened. After a day of tests, it was determined that he had an enlarged heart and that the episode he had suffered had been a TIA (a mini-stroke)! He's now on medication and hasn't had any more episodes, but it made me realize that the time will come when we won't have him around any more. I think that he realizes it, too. He has always been a very affectionate dog, but he has been especially cuddly since Thursday and, when I'm holding him and petting him, he kisses my hand and looks up at me with an expression in his eyes that tells me that he's savoring every moment, too.

Isn't that the way it always goes? We take the ones we love the most (human and canine) for granted, because we don't realize that the time may come when they won't be around. Never forget to tell the people you love how much they mean to you - and to take some time each day to scratch that puppy on its tummy.

I think that pets are just one of the ways that God lavishes unconditional love on us, and for that, I am truly thankful.

1 comment:

Robin Lambright said...

Isn't is amazing the emotional connection you can make with a loved pet. I had a dream several weeks ago that our dog was hit by a car. I woke up in tears and then spent the entire day upset!

Their unconditional love and affection is such a balm to our hearts especially when things are difficult. They don't care about the troubles of the world they just care about you!

Blessings
R