Saturday, January 16, 2010

Candles of Remembrance

I used to travel to Paris fairly often with R when he was with another company, and we always went to church on Sunday at Notre Dame. (Never mind that our French isn't very good and we aren't Catholic - we could still feel the connection with God as we sat in that beautiful, ancient building, listening to the musical cadence of the language as the mass took place). Afterward, we would go to one side of the cathedral where there was a huge bank of votive candles, and would light a candle of remembrance as we said a prayer for someone dear to us.

In the past three weeks I have celebrated my first Christmas without having our son at home with us, lost my mother 8 days later, then had a birthday the following week. And I've received several candles as gifts - one for Christmas and three for my birthday. As I sat down to have my devotional time this morning, I lit all of them and realized that each one holds a special significance. So I have decided that each day I will light a candle in remembrance of what each one represents.

The first is a delightful soy candle that smells like oatmeal raisin crumb cake - the sweet friend who gave it to me shares the midlife necessity of having to watch our weight and included a note that said that the candle would be a good way of enjoying a treat without the calories! So, I light this candle in remembrance that I must be mindful that my body is a gift from God and that I must care for it.

The second is a votive with a stained glass piece in front of it, bearing the message, "Bless You." I light this candle in remembrance that I must care for my soul in daily Bible study and prayer, and that I must never forget how blessed I am - and that I must be a blessing to others.

The third is a sweet-smelling candle in a beautiful holder that my daughter gave me for Christmas. As I light this candle I remember that I am blessed with a wonderful family and I will offer a prayer of thanksgiving for them as I also lift them in prayer.

The fourth is made of china and is in an intricate, snowflake shape. As I light this candle, I must remember that life is as fleeting as a snowflake, and that relationships are fragile and must be handled with care.

And so, I light these candles in remembrance of all in my life that is good, and I remember that I am blessed.

No comments: